Thursday, December 4, 2008

Applying a Shoulder Choke

Chokes are applied to the wind pipe thereby restricting air intake or to the carotid arteries thereby restricting blood flow to the brain. Both are quite formidable when applied properly.

kata-gatame-shoulder choke In our last groundfighting class, we were introduced to a shoulder choke that is sometimes called an arm triangle. In Judo, it is called a Kata Gatame. When using this choke, your opponent’s arm restricts blood flow on one side of his/her neck and you use an arm to restrict blood flow on the other side of his/her neck. You want to make sure that your opponent's arm is trapped between your head and his/hers.

The choke can be used when you are on your back and your opponent is on top of you in full mount. If it is not effective from that position, you can sweep your opponent to their back and apply the choke from a side mount position.

Our instructor demonstrated the choke using a gable (palm-to-palm) grip. My preference is to use a reverse lever. For example, if my right arm is around my opponent’s neck, I place my right hand on my left forearm. I then move my left hand up to the side of my head and squeeze. I get a much tighter choke this way.

Now… for a street fight, I wouldn’t take the time to choke someone out. I will follow my Krav Maga principles. There is always the possibility of the person pulling out an edged weapon while we’re rolling around on the ground. In addition, the person may be a part of a group that decides to join in the fray. However, if he―hopefully, I won’t be fighting a woman―is my only adversary and my only concern is controlling him, I might opt for the choke. The situation will ultimately dictate my actions.

Applying a Shoulder ChokeSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

1 comment:

  1. Curt, loving this blog -- keep up the good work! ...and I must say, very nice shot up there in the header :)

    ReplyDelete