Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Krav Maga Street Creds

Moshe Katz writes:

I first heard this phrase "Street Creds" while teaching a Krav Maga seminar at U Penn. A student had asked me…one of those "What if" situations. What if a street thug with a knife was standing at some distance from me, he was not attacking – thus none of my knife defense techniques would be applicable, he was not close to me – so I could not grab his arm or knife, so what would I do, he asked.

My response: run away if I could. He is at a distance, there is no knife touching my skin and no knife moving towards me, just a stationary street thug at a distance talking trash. Why should I try to disarm him? I have too much respect for the damage a knife can do. Besides, the great Danny Inosanto, the top student of the great Bruce Lee, said, "Knife disarms are incidental, if not accidental." My goal is survival, not knife collecting. If I can get home unscathed, I have accomplished my goal. I have no need to become an urban legend in the process.

Click Here to Continue Reading

Krav Maga Street CredsSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
blog comments powered by Disqus